Spaying and Neutering
Veterinarians recommend having your pet spayed or neutered. These are safe effective procedures that can eliminate negative habits and promote the long healthy life of your pet. At Dessau Veterinary Clinic in Austin our team cares for your pet throughout the process.
What Is Spaying or Neutering?
Spaying (for females) or neutering (for males) means removing all or part of an animal’s reproductive organs. This can be performed as a routine surgery or laparoscopically at our clinic. In females, this means removing the ovaries as well.
Following the surgery, your pet will be sent home with care instructions and medications. This is to keep them calm and comfortable while they are healing. Most pets recover from their surgery between 10 and 14 days.
Benefits of Spay and Neuter Surgery
- Reduced risk of cancer – Spaying can prevent breast tumors and uterus infections.
- Prevent the pet from going into heat – when a female goes into heat, they often urinate frequently and indiscriminately on floors and furniture. A heat cycle is 4-5 days every three weeks.
- Marking territory – Pets often Mark their territory by urinating. This can be very smelling, particularly when it is inside the home. Neutering can help eliminate the problem.
- Eliminate wandering behavior – As dogs develop, they can begin wandering off around the neighborhood. When they roam, they can get lost, hurt, or bother others.
- Controlling the pet population – Pets are abandoned at shelters every day. There aren’t enough homes for the 6.5 million animals that are found every year. Spaying or Neutering can help diminish that number.
Myths About Spaying and Neutering
Having a male dog neutered reduces their testosterone level which can eliminate unwanted behaviors, such as trying to mount another animal or a person’s leg. While behavior problems may not go away immediately our team can recommend a trainer if you need one. Some pet owners worry that their pet won’t feel masculine or should have a litter first. We want to assure you that your pet won’t feel that way if treated with proper care post-surgery.
We’re Here to Help
At Dessau Veterinary Clinic in Austin, TX we routinely perform spaying and neutering surgeries. We are committed to providing the highest quality of care for your pet. Whether it’s a young or older pet, we are here to help!