Understanding Dog Skin Problems
One of the most prevalent conditions affecting dogs is possible skin problems. If you have observed skin abnormalities in your pet, including hair loss, excessive scratching, inflammation, and skin redness, your dog is likely suffering from a skin condition such as allergies, mange, tick infections, etc. When this is the case, our team at Dessau Veterinary Clinic in Austin can help determine what condition is affecting your dog and provide effective treatment for it.
Signs of Dog Skin Problems
Various signs can indicate whether your animal is experiencing a challenging skin disorder. Although the symptoms can vary, the most common ones include:
- Biting their skin
- Watery eyes due to allergies
- Scratching the skin excessively
- Skin inflammation
Other signs may include:
- Unpleasant bodily odor
- Flaky skin
- Hair loss
What Causes Skin Problems in Dogs?
While there are many causes of dog skin problems, the most common causes include:
- Environmental causes: Factors such as mildew, dust, pollen, mold, or other airborne allergens can cause your dog's skin to feel itchy and uncomfortable.
- Nutritional causes: Although food allergies will rarely affect your furry friend, they can occur due to proteins in beef, eggs, pork, chicken, fish, etc. Nutritional allergies cause the dog to scratch excessively, leading to possible hair loss.
- Parasitic causes: If your dog is infested with parasites like ticks, mites, or fleas, he or she will most likely develop skin problems.
How Our Veterinary Dermatologists Treat Skin Problems in Dogs
As a rule of thumb, you should consult with our pet hospital as soon as you notice signs of skin issues in your animal. We can first diagnose to see if parasites are causing the skin problem. Once we've ruled out parasites, our veterinarians will try to determine other causes such as environmental or food allergies. We can also use other diagnoses such as skin biopsy and hormonal tests for a thorough examination.
The underlying cause of the disorder will determine the best treatment option needed for your dog. Our vets may prescribe antibiotics or special shampoos for you to use at home, depending on your animal's condition.
Contact Our Animal Clinic for Pet Dermatology Treatment from Our Austin Veterinarians
When it comes to skin care for your pet, it's important to consult a professional for optimal treatment. Certain pet skin conditions can have a negative effect on humans if left untreated. That's why our experts advise you to seek help whenever a skin-related issue is discovered. If you live in Austin or the surrounding areas, please schedule an appointment with Dessau Veterinary Clinic for effective pet skin care. Our team is committed to providing the care your animal needs to have a healthy and happy life.